For the love of food…
This blog post is in appreciation of food. Sushi, biryani, pizza, ice cream, coffee, steak, chicken, paani poori, kunafa, waffles, tea, nachos, all the food you can think of.
- My best friend and I went for a cooking class in the beginning of the year and we made chicken biryani from scratch, yes, I even washed the chickens.
- I ate potato pizza from Upcycled right in the heart of Benoni, our new “Rosebank”, Atlas Junction.
- I dabbled in YouTube recipes and made PF Chang’s Dynamite Chicken. Even my fusspot father ate it so I was pretty psyched.
- My sister and I found ourselves craving Dinky Donuts so we went to the Flea Market in Boksburg to try and satisfy the craving.
- Mochachos always goes down, whether for Jummah lunch or after a long day in Hartebeesport.
- Speaking of Harties, we had the best french toast and Frenchtoast Koffie Kafee.
- My favourite food at a wedding I attended last week was the paani poori. (My goals now include having a paani poori eating competition with my person like in Rab Ne Banadi Jodi.)
- The Nacho Libre pizza at Col’cacchio is to die for. My best friend and I finish the entire pizza on our own.
- Literally no waffles can match Indianapolis Spur’s ones. I found myself craving them in Ramadhaan all the time.
- And the best nachos is also by our very own Indianapolis Spur.
- The only reason to go to Lenz is to have ice cream at Creme Cafe.
- Simply Asia sushi is simply amazing.
- Sometimes, my aunt makes home-made sushi and that’s a winner too!
- Nonna’s cheddamelt steak is my favourite thing on their menu.
- And their rectangle pizza tastes really good too.
- The amount of coffee freezos I buy from Vida, I should definitely have shares in their franchise, this is where my caffeine addiction started.
- When I’m in a good mood, I make boiled tea for my family.
- Galata in Braamfontein is a hidden treasure. It’s Istanbul meets Johannesburg and I’m honestly loving it.
- Paul’s Homemade Ice Cream’s birthday cake is the only birthday cake I need in my life.
- Ozzy’s Kitchen’s Dynamite Shrimp had us ordering a second round of it.
- Nothing excites me more than my little cousin bringing bubble tea home from school for me.
- If you haven’t tried the fondue from Haagen Dazs, it’s time you give it a try.
- The chocolate brownies with ice cream from KFC brought back childhood memories though it doesn’t taste quite the same.
- But the bubblegum ice cream I had at the Botanical Gardens in Emmerentia definitely tasted like a sweet childhood memory.
- One of the best things I’ve had this year was an Al Baik Big Bake that my Mamajee and aunty brought home from Umrah.
When it comes down to it though, nothing tastes as good as home made dhaal and rice, khari kitchri and chicken terkari. I feel so appreciative that these are the dishes I grew up eating because it’s the only part of my life that is truly Indian. Nothing’s better than having chicken biryani for lunch on a Sunday with my entire family.
“Happiness is great food and great company.” I truly believe that good food and good company are two of life’s simplest yet greatest pleasures.